We’re hiring an editorial communications intern!
Internship announcement: Communications intern – 60-80%
Since its inception in 1992, the Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders honors individuals and organizations who have shown exceptional commitment to defending human rights, despite the risks involved. The Award is bestowed annually during a ceremony co-hosted with the City of Geneva and includes both a financial stipend as well as protective publicity and advocacy opportunities for three human rights defenders. The Award winners are selected by 10 global human rights organizations who sit on the Jury.
The Martin Ennals Foundation, based in Geneva, is looking for a dynamic intern to support our communications and editorial activities for 6-8 months starting in September 2021. Please see the terms of reference below. You can submit your application (including a CV, motivation letter, 2 examples of your writing or communications work in English, and 2 references) by June 24th 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intern reports to the MEF’s Communications Manager for the following tasks:
Editorial work (English and French):
- Draft articles and interviews for the website and upload them on WordPress
- Deliver impactful contents adapted to social media
- Manage the MEF quarterly corporate newsletter
- Draft media kit and news releases for the Martin Ennals Award 2022
- Draft reports and other corporate communications material
- Translate or coordinate translations of documents in French and English
- Monitor the news and ensure that important topics and relevant news are shared in our social media threads
- Prepare and update media lists
- Assist in establishing contacts with key media
- Assist in managing media archives
Events: assist in the organization of the Martin Ennals Award ceremony events
- Press briefing ahead of the ceremony
- Martin Ennals Award Ceremony in winter 2022
- Manage and update the Foundation’s contacts and invitation lists
- Manage the follow-up communication and satisfaction survey, after the ceremony
Eligibility Requirements for the internship:
The Martin Ennals Foundation is a small organization run by a highly motivated staff, Board and Jury. At different points in the year, our work will be fast-paced, intense and challenging. While we cannot guarantee our team a life of luxury, we do offer hands-on opportunities to sharpen your skills while advancing a rewarding cause. We’re looking to hire someone who:
- Is enrolled as a student of international relations, journalism, communications, public relations, or another relevant program;
- Speaks and writes at the professional level in English and in French (additional languages are a plus).
- Has strong writing and editing skills.
- Is familiar with digital media and social media strategies.
- Shows interest for human rights.
- Has previous experience working with WordPress, Mailchimp and Microsoft teams.
- Is well organized and can work with little supervision.
- Likes fast-paced environments and copes well with stress.
- Has excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Duration: 6-8 months, with possibility to renew.
- Working percentage: 60-80%.
- Stipend: 600-800 CHF per month.
- Start date: 1 September 2021.
- Internship can take place in Geneva or remotely. If in Geneva, a valid permit to live and work in Switzerland is required.