The Martin Ennals Foundation is hiring a Communications Officer!
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders (MEA) honors individuals and organizations that have shown exceptional commitment to promoting human rights, despite the risks involved. It strives to provide them with much needed protection, raising their public profile and gathering international support for their work. The Award is managed by the Martin Ennals Foundation (MEF), based in Geneva (Switzerland). In addition to celebrating the annual Award Ceremony, the Foundation provides ongoing support and visibility to former winners of the Award.
The Martin Ennals Foundation is a small organization run by a highly motivated staff, Board and Jury. At different points in the year, our work will be fast-paced, intense and challenging. The Director is the head of the executive arm of the MEF. The Communications Officer and Programme Officer work closely together. An entry-level position to support both communications and programmatic activities will be opened in 2022. Several interns complete the team.
Organisational setting and reporting relationships
The Communications Officer reports to the Director of the Foundation. The Communications Officer will also have frequent contact with members of the Board, with colleagues of the Jury organisations, and with MEA winners themselves. The Communications Officer will oversee service providers to the Foundation.
The Communications Officer is responsible for formulating and leading the MEF communications strategy in support of the organisation’s mission, which includes corporate communication elements and the delivery of a high-quality outreach campaign for the annual MEA ceremony. The Communications Officer provide supervision to the Programs and Communications Associate and interns. The Communications Officer’s tasks include:
- Designing and delivering MEA’s corporate communications, regularly adapting social media activity, our website and newsletter to Foundation activities and current events.
- Designing and delivering an outreach strategy for the annual MEA ceremony:
- Overseeing the production of bespoke films about MEA winners
- Collaborating with the City of Geneva in the production of marketing material for the MEA campaign (posters, flags, banners, etc.
- Overseeing the production and dissemination of digital social media assets (both visual and editorial content)
- Organizing a press conference to announce the winners of the Award
- Producing and disseminating press material and other written and audio-visual products on our website and social media channels
- Enhancing the impact of MEF’s advocacy activities with targeted communications strategies.
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of the Foundation’s communication strategy and its contributions to our annual objectives.
What we’re looking for:
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience in a communication function;
- Familiarity with traditional media, media monitoring and media relations;
- Strong background in digital communications (professional knowledge with WordPress, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Canva, Tweedeck and Google analytics an asset);
- Fluency or professional proficiency in both English and French;
- A degree or work experience in journalism, communications, political science, international relations, law, or relevant subject;
- Ability to work across organizations and collaborate easily with colleagues;
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate the delivery of tasks by junior colleagues, service providers, or peers;
- Ability to cope with pressure and challenging work periods. Self-starters, entrepreneurs, determined and creative types are welcome to apply.
Conditions of the position
- Indefinite term contract at 40%
- A competitive salary
- Flexible working arrangements
- 25 days’ vacation pro-rata
- Preferred start date: mid-March
To apply, please send your CV, a cover letter, and an example of your work to email@example.com by end of day, Sunday March 6th 2022.