We are hiring a Communications and Events management intern!
TERMS OF REFERENCE
COMMUNICATIONS AND EVENTS MANAGEMENT INTERN – (50% Geneva-based)
Since 1992, the Martin Ennals Award for Human Rights Defenders honours individuals and organizations who have shown exceptional commitment to defending human rights, despite the risks. The Award is presented annually during a ceremony co-hosted with the City of Geneva and includes both a financial stipend, protective publicity, and advocacy opportunities for three human rights defenders. The Award-winners are selected by a Jury of 10 global human rights organizations.
The Martin Ennals Foundation, based in Geneva, is looking for a dynamic intern to support our communications and events function for 6 months starting in September 2022. You can submit your application (including a CV, motivation letter, 2 examples of your writing or communications work, and 2 references) by September 2nd, 2022, to email@example.com.
- Communications responsibilities
The intern reports to the MEF’s Communications Officer for the following tasks:
Community management: social media related activities with the aim of promoting the 2023 Award Ceremony and Laureates, as well as the Foundation.
- Prepare and broadcast text and images on the web and on social media, in respect to the communication strategy
- Update the Foundation’s website with approved contents, both in FR/EN
- Assist in the production of the Newsletter
Communication materials: assist MEF to improve its visual & audio-visual assets
- Assist in the production of short films portraits of the 2023 Laureates
- Develop social media assets (short videos, reels, visuals, carousel, etc.) of the 2023 Award ceremony and Laureates
- Edit photos and produce neat layouts for social media content
Press relations: support press activities to promote the Martin Ennals Award ceremony 2023
- Assist in developing press releases and press kits
- Support the organization of the press conference
- Prepare media lists and assist in contacts ahead of the ceremony
- Follow up journalists’ requests
- Collect media coverage
Analysis: follow and improve how the Foundation tracks its communication performance
- Analyze and collect relevant statistics for the website, the press, and social media
- Produce two reports on the Foundation’s outreach – one following the MEA2023 Laureates’ Announcement, and one following the Ceremony 2023
2. Events management responsibilities and miscellaneous
The intern reports to the MEF’s Director for the following tasks:
Events: assist in the organization of the Martin Ennals Award Ceremony
- Update contacts and invitation lists, as necessary
- Produce a save-the-date newsletter for the ceremony
- Manage the follow-up communication and satisfaction survey, after the ceremony
- Administrative assistance and other tasks
Eligibility Requirements for the internship:
Martin Ennals Foundation is a small organization run by a highly motivated staff, Board and Jury. We are on a mission to serve and protect human rights defenders. At different points in the year, our work will be fast-paced, intense and challenging. While we cannot guarantee our team a life of luxury, we do offer hands-on opportunities to sharpen your skills while advancing a rewarding cause. We are looking to hire someone who is:
- Enrolled as a student of communications, events management, management, international relations, or other relevant program; or has just finished their studies.
- Speaks and writes at the professional level in French and English. Additional languages are a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with digital media and social media strategies.
- Good command of Adobe Creatives (InDesign, Premiere).
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Motivation to learn and be challenged.
- A valid permit to live and work in Switzerland.
- Duration: 6 months, with possibility to renew
- Working percentage: 50%
- Remuneration: 500 CHF per month
- Start date: September 2022 (to be discussed)
- End date: beginning of February or April 2023, depending on intern’s availability
- Vacation: 20 days per 12 months / pro rata 6 months= 6 days
- Expenses: transportation and meals incurred because of work responsibilities can be defrayed by the Foundation.